Please do use some of our favourite fundraising ideas fbelow – you will need to be creative with some of these to satisfy social-distancing guidelines because not all of these ideas are suitable without some adaptation! Where appropriate, you could scale down activities to single classrooms rather than across the entire school.
Please do make sure that everyone who takes part is suitably protected at all times and that your fundraising efforts are safe for all involved.
We also have some great virtual fundraising ideas to bring you and your school together.
Ways you can help us raise even more money on Jeans for Genes Day
- Denim bakes. Bake up a batch of blue cupcakes, blueberry muffins or jean-clad gingerbread men, stir up some blue lemonade and sell your blue treats.
- Double, treble, quadruple denim. Why not go all out and wear this year’s double denim trend. Or better still opt for denim overload and wear as much denim as possible – denim shirt, shoes, bag and hairband, there simply can’t be too much denim!
- Be persuasive. If you’ve got the powers of persuasion, why not ask your head teacher to wear jeans for the entire Jeans for Genes week – get the whole school to raise money through sponsorship!
- Denim dance-a-thon. Are you a dancing queen? Then hold a sponsored dance-a-thon or zumbathon. Or you could host a school denim disco, charging an entry fee.
- Denim Upcycle. Got some old jeans? Bring them in and hold a jazz up your jeans workshop! Charge a small fee for the customisation pieces.
- Denim jukebox. Why not set up a jukebox in your classroom – ask people to donate to pick a song and play it whilst you’re studying – you could even ask pupils to select songs beforehand and create a playlist on your iPod.
- Athletics day. Set up a school sports day. You could have a space hopper race, egg and spoon race, and of course a race in all your denim! Charge people to take part and have prizes for the winners.
- Get sporty. Have you got the fitness bug? Try organising a sponsored run, walk, swim or cycle for your school or workplace with an event afterwards to celebrate your achievement! You could even do the whole event in denim!
- Denim drama. Always wanted to be an actor or actress? Well now’s your chance! Put on a play in aid of Jeans for Genes Day, selling tickets and blue-themed refreshments in the interval.
- Denim Footy. If you love football, try organising a penalty shoot-out or football tournament, charging players to participate.
- Thrifty Gene. Are you a savvy shopper? Why not host a bring-and-buy sale, or car boot sale at your school, donating the money raised – you could come away with some beautiful bargains too!
- Denim arts and Crafts. Love a bit of arts and crafts? Then have a go at making some fancy denim headbands, selling them at a school fete. Why not ask your pupils to bring in unwanted clothes and have a go at tie-dye! You could sell the stylish pieces.
- Painting Gene. If you fancy yourself as bit of a painter, why not charge a small fee to paint the faces of all your pupils? Try tigers, butterflies, dogs or giraffes!
- Get wordy. Host a spell-a-thon at your school. Pupils can ask for sponsorship for every word they get right, and don’t forget a prize for the winner!
- Denim treats. We all love a sweet treat, so why not make the most of your sweet tooth and ask the school tuck shop to donate a percentage of sales during Jeans for Genes week!
- Guilty pleasures. We all have a guilty pleasure, so why not give up yours for sponsorship? You could give up your favourite food, hobby, television, social media, or even your phone. And for the chatterboxes, why not give up your voice in a sponsored silence?
- X Factor. Organise a talent show, or battle of the bands, to showcase your pupils’ skills! You could charge for tickets, and make some extra money selling refreshments.
- Generation Gene. Want to see which generation comes out on top? Try organising a ‘take on the teachers’ or child and parent activity day at your school. You could have a netball tournament, rounders match or penalty shoot-out charging competitors to take part.
- Denim sleepover. Try holding a school sleepover! You could charge a small fee to pupils to take part or sell snacks for a midnight feast.
- Gene-ious Chef. If you fancy yourself as chef, why not create some fabulous Jeans for Genes Day themed dishes with your Home Economics Department. Put on a pop-up restaurant and sell your creations!
- Opposites Gene. For those of you who aren’t ambidextrous, challenge your class to a left- (or right-) handed day. Charge a small fee to enter or donate every time you use your dominant hand.
- Jam for Genes. Hold a denim rock concert – charge for tickets and make extra money by serving up some blue lemonade.