Taking part in Jeans for Genes Day is something to be proud of. The more people you tell about your Jeans for Genes Day, the more people will get involved and donate.
- Set up your JustGiving page.
- Shout about what you’re up to on your organisation’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, remember to use the hashtag #jeansforgenes. Send emails and stick up posters in your workplace.
- We’ve got a template email that you can send to colleagues that will tell them all about Jeans for Genes Day. Edit the text and add in your own information, and don’t forget to remind everyone to bring in their £2.
Let local media know
Contact local newspapers, and radio and TV stations – they’re sure to be interested and it’s a great way to spread the word in your community. We’ve created a template press release for you. Tailor it to your organisation with the hints and tips below.
It’s easy to let your local media know what you’re doing for Jeans for Genes Day.
If you want to write your own press release, here are some tips to help you:
1. Keep it short and snappy – say exactly what you’ll be doing, where and when
2. Give it a bold headline such as: ‘Staff at Taylors go for a fundraising record on Jeans for Genes Day, Friday 16th to 20th September 2019.’
3. Include a quote from someone at your organisation explaining why you’re taking part in the Day
4. Invite a reporter and a photographer to a colourful and fun photo call
5. Include the name of the person the media should contact at your organisation and a telephone number. Make sure that person is available to talk to on the Day
6. Send your press release by email or by post to the news editor of your local paper or the reporter who covers stories in your area. If you’re going to contact your local radio station, make sure one of your staff is a good talker
7. Send out the press release seven days before your event. Ring round the day before to remind them what you’re doing
8. Don’t be disappointed if no-one comes to see you on the Day. Newsrooms are very busy but the more interesting your event, the more chance you have that it’s you they’ll come to see